Search

Man rescued as kitchen blaze fills home with smoke

PUBLISHED: 09:41 12 March 2009 | UPDATED: 14:10 05 October 2010

A MAN was overcome by smoke trying to tackle a blaze which broke out in his kitchen last night. The 60-year-old had left a plastic electric kettle on the stove which caught light while he went to the shops and returned to find his ground-floor flat in Bow, East London, filled with smoke

A MAN was overcome by smoke trying to tackle a blaze which broke out in his kitchen last night (Wednesday).

The 60-year-old had left a plastic electric kettle on the stove which caught light while he went to the shops and returned to find his ground-floor flat at Fairfield Road in Bow, East London, filled with smoke—and the kittle melted.

He was treated by ambulance paramedics for the effects of inhaling smoke, but declined to go to hospital. A neighbour raised the alarm when the smoke billowed across the street.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser