Man suffers smoke inhalation after cigarette believed to have been left smouldering at Bethnal Green flat
- Credit: sub
A man suffered smoke inhalation after it is beleieved he fell asleep while a cigarette was left shouldering in the early hours of this morning.
The man was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.
The fire damaged a large part of the ground floor flat on Swanfield Street, Bethnal Green.
Crew Manager Ben King, from Shoreditch fire station, who was at the scene, said: “The flat was very smoky when we arrived, and the sofa was alight. Crews tackled the fire quickly and ensured it didn’t spread. We believe the fire was caused by a cigarette which had been left smouldering in the living room after the man went to bed.
“It is very important to make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished before leaving them, particularly before you go to bed. You should use a heavy glass ash tray and that should be placed well away from anything that could catch fire. Fill the ash tray with water before bed to ensure any embers are completely out.”
You may also want to watch:
Four fire engines from Shoreditch and Whitechapel fire stations attended the scene. The Brigade was called at 02.42am and the fire was under control at 03.16am.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower