Search

Man suffers smoke inhalation after cigarette believed to have been left smouldering at Bethnal Green flat

PUBLISHED: 10:34 12 April 2013 | UPDATED: 10:34 12 April 2013

Picture: PA

Picture: PA

sub

A man suffered smoke inhalation after it is beleieved he fell asleep while a cigarette was left shouldering in the early hours of this morning.

The man was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.

The fire damaged a large part of the ground floor flat on Swanfield Street, Bethnal Green.

Crew Manager Ben King, from Shoreditch fire station, who was at the scene, said: “The flat was very smoky when we arrived, and the sofa was alight. Crews tackled the fire quickly and ensured it didn’t spread. We believe the fire was caused by a cigarette which had been left smouldering in the living room after the man went to bed.

“It is very important to make sure your cigarettes are fully extinguished before leaving them, particularly before you go to bed. You should use a heavy glass ash tray and that should be placed well away from anything that could catch fire. Fill the ash tray with water before bed to ensure any embers are completely out.”

Four fire engines from Shoreditch and Whitechapel fire stations attended the scene. The Brigade was called at 02.42am and the fire was under control at 03.16am.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser