Man who halted Whitechapel attack could be key witness, police say
POLICE are trying to trace a man who intervened as a gang beat a teenager in Whitechapel. Officers believe the man may be a key witness to the attack which saw a group of around 10 youths kick and punch an 18-year-old man as he walked along Old Montague S
POLICE are trying to trace a man who intervened as a gang beat a teenager in Whitechapel.
Officers believe the man may be a key witness to the attack which saw a group of around 10 youths kick and punch an 18-year-old man as he walked along Old Montague Street around 7.30pm on Saturday, May 8.
During the attack one of the gang demanded the victim's phone but an older man appeared and spoke to the gang and they left the scene.
Police have said he was an Asian man, aged 35-38, around 5ft 10ins tall and of medium build and are urging him to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
The victim was treated at hospital for pains to his head but has since been discharged.
Police have said the gang was a group of around 10 Asian youths. One was around 5ft 5ins tall, around 17-18, with a stud in his tongue while another was around 5ft 11ins tall, of thin build and around 18.
- 2 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
Both were wearing dark clothing.
Officers are appealing to anyone with information to contact Det Con Dele Alabi in the robbery squad on 020 8217 4162 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Witnesses can also email email@example.com