Man who halted Whitechapel attack could be key witness, police say
POLICE are trying to trace a man who intervened as a gang beat a teenager in Whitechapel. Officers believe the man may be a key witness to the attack which saw a group of around 10 youths kick and punch an 18-year-old man as he walked along Old Montague S
POLICE are trying to trace a man who intervened as a gang beat a teenager in Whitechapel.
Officers believe the man may be a key witness to the attack which saw a group of around 10 youths kick and punch an 18-year-old man as he walked along Old Montague Street around 7.30pm on Saturday, May 8.
During the attack one of the gang demanded the victim's phone but an older man appeared and spoke to the gang and they left the scene.
Police have said he was an Asian man, aged 35-38, around 5ft 10ins tall and of medium build and are urging him to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
The victim was treated at hospital for pains to his head but has since been discharged.
Police have said the gang was a group of around 10 Asian youths. One was around 5ft 5ins tall, around 17-18, with a stud in his tongue while another was around 5ft 11ins tall, of thin build and around 18.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 6 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
Both were wearing dark clothing.
Officers are appealing to anyone with information to contact Det Con Dele Alabi in the robbery squad on 020 8217 4162 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Witnesses can also email email@example.com