Man who rebuilt Mildmay HIV hospital at Shoreditch steps down after 9 years
- Credit: Mildmay
The man who took on the Mildmay HIV charity hospital’s biggest redevelopment in its 150-year history in Shoreditch is leaving as chief executive after nine years.
Dr Ross White has overseen the opening of the new hospital behind Shoreditch Church which was officially opened by Prince Harry in 2015.
This was followed by the hospital getting an ‘outstanding’ rating from a Care Quality Commission inspection last year.
“I feel an enormous personal attachment to Mildmay, so it’s a hard decision to make,” Dr White said. “The board of trustees, our staff, volunteers and supporters have enabled Mildmay to achieve so much.”
He also marked the organisations 150th anniversary in 2016—sharing the same birthday month as the East London Advertiser.
Dr White, who becomes chief executive at a charity in Surrey, took over at Mildmay the year following controversial plans for a skyscraper development being dropped which critics said would have overshadowed the historic pre-Georgian Shoreditch Church.
You may also want to watch:
Instead, he was to mastermind a more modest three-storey development in Austin Street which was formally blessed by Archbishop Justin Welby before Prince Harry opened it.
The prince was following in the footsteps of his mother Princess Dianna who famously shared a drink of water with a patient when she visited the Mildmay in the 1980s and ended the stigma surrounding Aids.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel