Manor Park man who drove car into Muslims in Stepney jailed for 12 years
- Credit: Archant
A man who drove his white Range Rover into three Muslims celebrating Eid has been jailed for 12 years.
Akikul Islam, 25, from Stanley Road, Manor Park, ploughed into the group in Frimley Way, Stepney, at about 1am on Thursday, July 7, 2016.
After admitting two counts of causing grievous bodily harm at the Old Bailey on Monday, May 15, he was sentenced on Wednesday, July 5, with Det Insp Chris Soole from Tower Hamlets police saying Islam had weaponised his car.
“This sentence reflects the gravity of his actions that day,” he said. “Islam was behind the wheel of a Range Roger which he used as a weapon when he deliberately drove at a group of men who were celebrating Eid-al-Fitr.
“Two of the men required hospital treatment, one of whom is still receiving medical care. It is fortunate that no one else was harmed.”
You may also want to watch:
Islam arrived in Frimley Way in the company of another car, with CCTV footage showing three other men get out of the two cars before becoming involved in a row with about 10 males.
Islam stayed in his car as the row escalated into a fight with baseball bats and bottles.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 9 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
As his companion’s car left the scene, Islam was surrounded by the fight.
He ploughed his car into the group, running over a 24-year-old before crashing into a parked car. He then positioned his car so he could secure a clean exit down Alderney Road, but instead reversed his car at the group, running over a 20-year-old along with the man he’d already hit.
He drove forward with both men stuck under his wheels, collided with another parked car and drove off down Alderney Road.
Police and paramedics attended the scene and the two injured men were taken to hospital.
The 20-year-old suffered critical injuries and is still receiving treatment.
The 24-year-old was discharged after his treatment.
At 3am, police patrolling Vallance Road, Bethnal Green, saw Islam’s car being towed and found it had been leased to him, leading to his arrest on Monday, August 8, 2016.
Further analysis of the CCTV footage showed Islam targeted another man. It is not known what the severity of his injuries were.