Margaret hobnobs with Mayor at world’s biggest coffee morning
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London’s East End to borrow a book. But instead she got the red carpet’ treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London's East End to borrow a book.
But instead she got the 'red carpet' treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office.
Margaret had walked in on the world's biggest coffee morning at Poplar's Ideas Store, one of many organisations up and down the country taking part in the charity fundraiser for Macmillan cancer research on Friday.
Serving up her cuppa was councillor Ahmed Omer, Britain's first Somali mayor who was elected in May.
But staff at the library centre in Chrisp Street Market decided not to charge people.
"This is a poor district and people don't have much money," said one staff member.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 8 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
A local supermarket donated the coffee, tea and Hobnob biscuits. But donations from well-wishers were accepted.
Others popping in for a cuppa with the Mayor included representatives from St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, Cancer Awareness charity and the MacMillan Trust.