Margaret hobnobs with Mayor at world’s biggest coffee morning
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London’s East End to borrow a book. But instead she got the red carpet’ treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London's East End to borrow a book.
But instead she got the 'red carpet' treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office.
Margaret had walked in on the world's biggest coffee morning at Poplar's Ideas Store, one of many organisations up and down the country taking part in the charity fundraiser for Macmillan cancer research on Friday.
Serving up her cuppa was councillor Ahmed Omer, Britain's first Somali mayor who was elected in May.
You may also want to watch:
But staff at the library centre in Chrisp Street Market decided not to charge people.
"This is a poor district and people don't have much money," said one staff member.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
A local supermarket donated the coffee, tea and Hobnob biscuits. But donations from well-wishers were accepted.
Others popping in for a cuppa with the Mayor included representatives from St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, Cancer Awareness charity and the MacMillan Trust.