Margaret hobnobs with Mayor at world’s biggest coffee morning
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London’s East End to borrow a book. But instead she got the red carpet’ treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London's East End to borrow a book.
But instead she got the 'red carpet' treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office.
Margaret had walked in on the world's biggest coffee morning at Poplar's Ideas Store, one of many organisations up and down the country taking part in the charity fundraiser for Macmillan cancer research on Friday.
Serving up her cuppa was councillor Ahmed Omer, Britain's first Somali mayor who was elected in May.
You may also want to watch:
But staff at the library centre in Chrisp Street Market decided not to charge people.
"This is a poor district and people don't have much money," said one staff member.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
A local supermarket donated the coffee, tea and Hobnob biscuits. But donations from well-wishers were accepted.
Others popping in for a cuppa with the Mayor included representatives from St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, Cancer Awareness charity and the MacMillan Trust.