Margaret hobnobs with Mayor at world’s biggest coffee morning
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London’s East End to borrow a book. But instead she got the red carpet’ treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office
MARGARET Baker popped along to her local public library in London's East End to borrow a book.
But instead she got the 'red carpet' treatment with a cup of coffee served up by no less than His Worship, The Mayor of Tower Hamlets, in his resplendent gold Chain of Office.
Margaret had walked in on the world's biggest coffee morning at Poplar's Ideas Store, one of many organisations up and down the country taking part in the charity fundraiser for Macmillan cancer research on Friday.
Serving up her cuppa was councillor Ahmed Omer, Britain's first Somali mayor who was elected in May.
But staff at the library centre in Chrisp Street Market decided not to charge people.
"This is a poor district and people don't have much money," said one staff member.
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 6 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 9 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 10 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
A local supermarket donated the coffee, tea and Hobnob biscuits. But donations from well-wishers were accepted.
Others popping in for a cuppa with the Mayor included representatives from St Joseph's Hospice in Hackney, Cancer Awareness charity and the MacMillan Trust.