Marine cadet Jessica joins Prince Harry’s Lesotho expedition
YOUNG sea cadet Jessica Gregson is one o 12 to learn this week she has been selected from hundreds of applicants up and down the country for Prince Harry’s 150th anniversary expedition to southern Africa next year. Jessica, a member of East London’s Clapton & Hackney Sea Cadet Corp, has been selected as one 12 Marine cadets for the Lesotho expedition of 60 cadets including Army and Air
YOUNG sea cadet Jessica Gregson is one o 12 to learn this week she has been selected from hundreds of applicants up and down the country for Prince Harry's 150th anniversary expedition to southern Africa next year.
Jessica, a member of East London's Clapton & Hackney Sea Cadet Corp (pictured in training on the River Lea), has been selected as one 12 Marine cadets for the Lesotho expedition of 60 cadets from the three forces including Army and Air.
"I was surprised when I was selected," Jessica admitted. "This is a trip of a lifetime.
"Not many people can say they've gone to southern Africa and helped change the lives of others by doing the charity work while I'm there. The experience will stay with me forever."
You may also want to watch:
Each cadet is expected to contribute �1,000 towards the cost of around �3,500, so they need to find sponsorship to help their ventures.
The project is aimed at promoting the values of the cadet movement in its 150th year in 2010.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
Prince Harry is patron of the 21-day Lesotho expedition and may visit those selected during training and while on the expedition itself.
The trip is expected to include trekking in the Drackensberg mountains and paddling the lake from the Katse Dam. The trek could include climbing Thabana Ntenyana, the highest mountain in southern Africa.