Marine cadet Jessica joins Prince Harry’s Lesotho expedition
YOUNG sea cadet Jessica Gregson is one o 12 to learn this week she has been selected from hundreds of applicants up and down the country for Prince Harry’s 150th anniversary expedition to southern Africa next year. Jessica, a member of East London’s Clapton & Hackney Sea Cadet Corp, has been selected as one 12 Marine cadets for the Lesotho expedition of 60 cadets including Army and Air
YOUNG sea cadet Jessica Gregson is one o 12 to learn this week she has been selected from hundreds of applicants up and down the country for Prince Harry's 150th anniversary expedition to southern Africa next year.
Jessica, a member of East London's Clapton & Hackney Sea Cadet Corp (pictured in training on the River Lea), has been selected as one 12 Marine cadets for the Lesotho expedition of 60 cadets from the three forces including Army and Air.
"I was surprised when I was selected," Jessica admitted. "This is a trip of a lifetime.
"Not many people can say they've gone to southern Africa and helped change the lives of others by doing the charity work while I'm there. The experience will stay with me forever."
You may also want to watch:
Each cadet is expected to contribute �1,000 towards the cost of around �3,500, so they need to find sponsorship to help their ventures.
The project is aimed at promoting the values of the cadet movement in its 150th year in 2010.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
Prince Harry is patron of the 21-day Lesotho expedition and may visit those selected during training and while on the expedition itself.
The trip is expected to include trekking in the Drackensberg mountains and paddling the lake from the Katse Dam. The trek could include climbing Thabana Ntenyana, the highest mountain in southern Africa.