Martial arts tribute to Bethnal Green shooting victim Jordan Bari
- Credit: Archant
A martial arts instructor has passed a grading exam wearing the belt of his former student who was shot dead in Bethnal Green last year.
Simon Drake achieved his third dan in Tang Soo Do wearing a black belt belonging to Jordan Bari.
The 20-year-old was shot dead when answering the door of a flat in October last year. Three men were acquitted of killing him in July following a trial.
“Jordan and I had the same level,” said Simon, 43. “He was going to get his third dan, he wanted to get it.”
Simon, who teaches at the London Black Belt Academy in Newham, explained that he had approached Jordan’s mum Lisa about wearing the belt, something which she had backed.
You may also want to watch:
She attended Simon’s grading, which took place at the Castle Green Centre in Dagenham, to support him.
“It was so hard,” Simon said of the afternoon, “but I felt like he got us through.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
“When I got his belt put on, I felt pretty emotional.”
Jordan, who lived in Stratford’s East Village, had won martial arts trophies all over the country after taking up the sport aged seven.