Masterchef star dies after collapsing in Wapping during London Marathon
- Credit: PA
A professional chef who appeared on Masterchef has died after collapsing in Wapping while running the London Marathon, organisers have confirmed.
Matt Campbell, 29, collaped at the 22.5 mile mark - along The Highway on the way back towards Tower Bridge - during yesterday’s race.
In a statement, London Marathon organisers said: “With deep sadness, we confirm the death of a participant in the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon.
“Although he received immediate medical treatment on the scene from race doctors, he died later in hospital.
“Matt was a well-known chef who featured in Masterchef: The Professionals last year, inspiring viewers with his nutritional gastronomy movement and forward-thinking ideas.”
You may also want to watch:
Matt, from the Lake District, was running for youth charity The Brathay Trust and in memory of his father, Martin, who died in the summer of 2016.
The statement continued: “Matt’s family today paid tribute to their inspirational son and brother, who was a keen marathon runner and had earlier this month completed the Manchester Marathon in under three hours.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
“Everyone involved in the organisation of the London Marathon would like to express our sincere condolences to Matt’s family and friends.
“No further details will be released and the family has asked for privacy. The exact cause of death will be established by later medical examination.”
A spokeswoman for Masterchef added: “We are shocked and saddened to hear the news about Matt Campbell, one of our talented contestants from last year.
“It was a privilege to have him on the show. He will always be remembered for producing for some of the most innovative and groundbreaking food that we saw on the series.
“From the whole team, our sincere condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends.”
Tributes have been left on Matt’s fundraising page, which has exceeded its £2,500 target.
One called him “an inspiration to many” and another said: “You gave it all for a truly noble cause.”
To donate, visit justgiving.com/fundraising/mattcampbell-londonmarathon