Palace loanee Lumeka nets brace in O’s friendly win over Barnet
- Credit: Archant
Behind closed doors friendly: Leyton Orient 3 Barnet 0
Levi Lumeka staked a claim for a first-team role with a brace in Leyton Orient’s behind closed doors friendly win over Barnet this afternoon.
The O’s did battle with their London and National League rivals earlier today and ran out 3-0 victors.
Crystal Palace loanee Lumeka was handed a starting berth and encouragingly centre back George Elokobi returned following a hamstring injury picked up in August.
It didn’t take Justin Edinburgh’s team long to open the scoring as they broke the deadlock after four minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Youth-teamer Charles Clayden did well out wide and his low cross was put away by Matt Harrold at the second time of asking.
The O’s doubled their advantage 10 minutes later when teenager Shadrach Ogie played a ball over the top for Lumeka and he fired home.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
Despite both clubs creating further opportunities, the score remained 2-0 at half time and Orient made a change soon after the restart.
Lawrence Hammond was introduced for Elokobi with 58 on the clock, as the experienced defender got close to an hour under his belt on his return from injury.
Another substitution was made 11 minutes later when Bradley McClenaghan, fresh from scoring in the FA Youth Cup last week, replaced James Brophy.
There was still time for a third goal of the game as Lumeka worked a yard of space in the 85th minute and fired into the top corner from range to secure a 3-0 success.
It was an encouraging display and result for boss Edinburgh, who would have been happy to see Elokobi come through.
He also provided valuable minutes for the likes of Sam Sargeant, Sam Ling, Dan Happe, Alex Lawless, Lumeka, Brophy and Harrold as well as youngsters Ogie, Brendon Shabani, Clayden, Hammond and McClenaghan.
On top of this, the performances of Lumeka in particular would have given the O’s head coach plenty of encouragement ahead of this weekend’s game with Hartlepool United, especially if Josh Koroma continues to be sidelined with a knee injury.
Leyton Orient: Sargeant; Ling, Happe, Elokobi (Hammond 58), Ogie; Shabani, Lawless; Lumeka, Clayden, Brophy (McClenaghan 69); Harrold.