Turgott haunts old club to help Stones knock O’s out of the FA Cup
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
FA Cup fourth qualifying round: Maidstone United 2 Leyton Orient 0
Leyton Orient’s journey in the FA Cup is over virtually before its even started after a 2-0 loss away to Maidstone United this afternoon.
The O’s were made to pay for missed chances by second-half goals from ex-attacker Blair Turgott and former Dagenham & Redbridge forward Elliott Romain.
It means Orient, for the first time since 1907, will not compete in the ‘proper rounds’ of the FA Cup, but Justin Edinburgh’s team can now concentrate on a promotion push from the National League.
Edinburgh made six changes for the fourth qualifying round tie with Maidstone as Sam Ling, Dan Happe, Alex Lawless, Dale Gorman, Charlie Lee and Matt Harrold all come into the starting XI following the goalless draw with Hartlepool United.
You may also want to watch:
Joe Widdowson served the first of his three-match ban while Myles Judd, Craig Clay, Jobi McAnuff and James Alabi dropped to the bench.
Gorman was making his full debut for the O’s and alongside him was captain for the afternoon Lee.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
Orient, in a 5-3-2 formation, dominated the early exchanges, but struggled to serious test home goalkeeper Lee Worgan until the 37th minute when Ling’s effort was saved.
It ensured it was goalless at the break, but the opener arrived nine minutes after the restart and it went to the hosts.
Former O’s winger Turgott embarked on an excellent dribble and applied the desired finishing touch with a shot past Dean Brill.
After dominating the majority of the game, Orient were now trailing and head coach Edinburgh reacted by introducing Josh Koroma for Lawless in the 64th minute.
O’s nearly equalised three minutes later, but Josh Coulson header from a Gorman free kick was saved by Worgan.
Alabi was introduced with 18 minutes left as Orient desperately looked for a way back into the contest.
Unfortunately for the east Londoners the result was wrapped up with 77 minutes on the clock when the Stones doubled their lead.
Substitute Romain, who only signed from Daggers on Friday, made the most of some slack O’s defending and fired past Brill to make it 2-0.
Orient pushed for a goal in the dying exchanges, but it wasn’t forthcoming as they lost for only the second time this season.
Leyton Orient: Brill; Ling, Coulson, Ekpiteta, Happe (McAnuff 76), Brophy; Lawless (Koroma 64), Gorman, Lee; Harrold (Alabi 72), Bonne.
Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Clay, Judd, Sotiriou.