Mayor Lutfur Rahman uses taxes we all pay for when he has a car
Dear Ed... Lutfur Rahman has charged the residents of Britain’s poorest borough �2,191.04 on taxi fares up to the end of February since his election in October as Executive Mayor of Tower Hamlets, according to information received from an enquiry.
Enquiries from council members show that Mayor Rahman, his deputy and two other leading members have racked up substantial taxi fares.
Black cabs have regularly been seen outside council offices with ‘Lutfur Rahman’ written on card and placed in windscreens.
Mayor Rahman is paid �65,000 a year and owns a very smart car which he regularly used and parked at the town hall.
I have asked for further details of both hiring and journeys and how much has been paid to taxis to wait outside of buildings.
It is ridiculous for members of the administration driving around in taxis when they have cars and the right to park in both residents bays and civic buildings anywhere in Tower Hamlets.
For a local authority which constantly complains about cuts and has reserves of �68 million, why is the leadership wasting this money on taxi fares?
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 3 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
Cllr Peter Golds
Leader of Conservative Group
Tower Hamlets Council