Mayor of Tower Hamlets and cycling champion Kyrsten Perry pledge their commitment to cycling in the borough
- Credit: Tower Hamlets Council
Tower Hamlets Mayor, John Biggs, and cycling champion Councillor Kyrsten Perry have underlined their commitment to promoting cycling in the borough.
Earlier in the year Ms Perry was appointed as the mayor’s cycling champion with a brief to monitor progress on the borough’s cycling strategy and suggest measures to improve opportunities to cycle.
According to council data, progress has already been made in the borough, with an overall increase in cycling of 8 per cent during 2018 compared with 2017.
In addition, 50 individual cycle lockers have been installed across the borough, nine on street bike hangars and four communal cycle shelters installed on housing estates.
The mayor said: “Our vision is for cycling to play a central role in the borough’s growth in order to relieve congestion on the roads, buses and train systems.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Perry said: “My role will be to progress chase and lobby the Mayor for further and better action on cycling initiatives to get the borough moving cleanly and efficiently.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin