Mayor turns a few heads with his stress’ check
THE mayor appears to be going for a more modern look with a second chain’ of office. Political cynics in London’s East End might think the Labour mayor at Tower Hamlets is turning Tory blue
THE mayor appears to be going for a more modern look with a second chain’ of office.
Political cynics in London’s East End might think the Labour mayor at Tower Hamlets is turning Tory blue.
But Ahmed Omer was actually trying out a stress check’ and physiotherapy test.
Cllr Omer, Britain’s first Somali mayor and probably Europe’s first, dropped in with his official gold chain of office at yesterday’s Learning Disability’ open day at Mile End Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
He turned a few heads trying out the OT sensory equipment, pictured with a surprised Open Day visitor Jean Clare looking on.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
People with disabilities and their families and carers were invited to take part in blood pressure and weight checks, organised by Tower Hamlets’ Community Learning Disability service.
The mayor stayed on for a sign-language sing-along using Makaton, a nationally-recognised sign and speech programme.
Members from the nearby Coburn day centre in Bow gave signed’ renditions of Happy Talk for the Mayor, then Blame It on the Boogie in tribute to Michael Jackson.