McAnuff and Jamaica reach final
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO
Leyton Orient midfielder continues to achieve success with his country
Leyton Orient midfielder Jobi McAnuff continues to make history with Jamaica as they beat the odds to defeat USA last night in the semi-final’s of the Gold Cup.
The 33-year-old helped inspire the Reggae Boyz to a 2-1 victory, which earn them a place in Sunday’s final against Mexico.
Jamaica’s success is a huge achievement, especially considering it is the first time a Caribbean side has reached the final of the tournament.
McAnuff and his country were playing in their first semi-final since 1995 yesterday, but made a fantastic start and entered the break two goals to the good.
You may also want to watch:
The USA hit back in the second half, reducing the arrears and pushing for an equaliser. However the Reggae Boyz held strong.
On Sunday, the O’s midfielder will be aiming to win Jamaica their first ever Gold Cup before returning back to England next week.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
Although McAnuff has missed out on being able to impress new head coach Ian Hendon, he should have plenty of match practise when he comes back to the club for pre-season.
Orient start their campaign on August 8 at home to Barnet and it will only be a positive if McAnuff returns with a winners medal.
If he does, Brisbane Road supporters will hope he adds more silverware to his Gold Cup triumph during the season with his club.