Meeting against privitisation of council service
A union meeting is being held this week in protest at the privatisation of the council s Waste Education Project. Political and gay rights activist Peter Tatchell is headlining the Unison
A union meeting is being held this week in protest at the privatisation of the council's Waste Education Project.
Political and gay rights activist Peter Tatchell is headlining the Unison meeting at Toynbee Hall in Whitechapel on September 24.
Tower Hamlets Tory opposition Leader Peter Golds, Liberal Parliamentary candidate Jonathan Fryer, Respect Cllr Abjol Miah, along with a number of trade union speakers, are also expected.
Unison says the council wants to hand over the award winning service to multi-national corporation Veolia without going through a competitive tendering process. UNISON believes the council has not properly scrutinised whether Veolia can deliver this education service or provide value for money.
You may also want to watch:
The union is campaigning against the outsourcing of council officer Phil Maxwell's job to Veolia. Phil has run the project for 10 years, educating children about the importance of recycling and caring for the environment.
He is also an active Unison steward and union branch publicity officer, as well as a former councillor and community activist.
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 3 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue