Men rescued after camera inside oven explodes
- Credit: sub
Two men were rescued from a fire yesterday after a camera hidden inside an oven exploded.
The men, thought to be in their late 20s, were led from a first floor flat in Sidney Street, in Whitechapel, by firefighters using breathing apparatus at around 11pm.
Paramedics treated them for smoke inhalation at the scene.
It emerged that one of the men had hidden the SLR camera inside the oven following a recent spate of burglaries.
Someone had then turned the oven on and the camera exploded.
The blaze, which was under control within 15 minutes, destroyed the oven and damaged some of the kitchen.
A spokesman from Whitechapel fire station said: “When I opened the oven I had expected to find some kind of dish, but instead there were remains of a camera.
- 1 Man 'seriously injured' after e-scooter fall
- 2 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 3 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 6 10 ace tunes for this year's All Points East
- 7 Kelman's first goal lifts Leyton Orient to third straight win
- 8 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 9 London among areas where drought is declared
- 10 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar
“I’d advise people not to put their cameras in the oven.”