Men set victim alight in Mile End Park guilty of attempted murder
THREE men have been convicted today of the attempted murder of 25-year-old Rizwan Ahmed who was beaten, doused with lighter fluid and set alight in East London’s Mile End Park in November
THREE men have been convicted today of the attempted murder of 25-year-old Rizwan Ahmed who was beaten, doused with lighter fluid and set alight in East London’s Mile End Park in November.
He managed to put out the flames, despite his injuries and was spotted by passers-by staggering in Burdett Road.
Jermaine Joseph, 23, Shane Dedman, 21, and Kieren Bruff, 22, were all convicted by an Old Bailey jury after a four-week trial and are being sentenced on July 23 after psychiatric reports.
Det Ins Luke Marks said after today’s verdict: “This was a callous, violent and premeditated attack on Rizwan Ahmed, a quiet man who was targeted for no better reason than some extreme form of sadistic bullying.
You may also want to watch:
“He is now trying to rebuild his life, but the physical and psychological injuries remain with him forever.”
Rizwan received 44 per cent burns to his body from his head to his legs in November’s attack. It was only the specialist care by staff at Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel and the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford that saved his life.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 8 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 9 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 10 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job