Meslime runs London Marathon for Barnardo’s after recently giving birth
- Credit: Barnardo's
Mum-of-two Meslime Grim is running her first marathon in memory of her father-in-law, a dedicated supported of Barnardo’s who died in tragic circumstances.
The 35-year-old NHS psychologist from Bethnal Green takes to the streets on April 23 for the children’s charity to honour the last wishes of John Grim, who died at 66 in Sussex.
“He passed away in a very tragic accident at home,” Meslime revealed. “John didn’t want any flowers at his funeral—he wanted donations instead to Barnardo’s which he had always supported and believed every child deserves the best start in life.”
Meslime and fellow Barnardo’s runners aim to raise around £250,000 to help support vulnerable children, including those just leaving care or have experienced child sexual exploitation.
The Marathon route from Greenwich through east London and the City to The Mall takes Meslime within a mile of her home in Mace Street.
You may also want to watch:
“I do a lot of running, but the most is a half-marathon,” she tells you. “Finding time to go out is a challenge with my two children.”
Meslime, who has just returned to work following maternity leave, has been training in east London where she has lived for 12 years. Her favourite practice runs are along the Regent’s Canal and through Victoria Park and Hackney Marshes.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
Husband John is turning out on the day to cheer her on, along with three-year-old Archie and baby Polly who is just a year old.
Meslime can be sponsored for Barnardo’s online.