Michael Caine officialy opens Museum of London's new galleries
SIR Michael Caine officially unveiled the Museum of London s brand new Galleries of Modern London yesterday evening (Thursday). The �20million redevelopment of the Museum s galleries tells the story of London and its people from the Great Fire in 1666 to
SIR Michael Caine officially unveiled the Museum of London's brand new Galleries of Modern London yesterday evening (Thursday).
The �20million redevelopment of the Museum's galleries tells the story of London and its people from the Great Fire in 1666 to the present day.
On display are more than 7,000 fascinating objects telling the story of Londoners over the past 350 years.
Objects range from the famous Art Deco lifts from Selfridges to The Ghetto, an artwork by Tom Hunter which reveals the harsh realities of London life as it depicts a Hackney street of the 1990s populated with squatters.
You may also want to watch:
Inside the new galleries is also a reconstructed Georgian pleasure garden, a Victorian Walk and the Lord Mayor's State Coach, which is now housed in its own gallery with street level windows for passers-by to see in for the first time.
Professor Jack Lohman, Director of the Museum of London, said: "The new Galleries of Modern London provide a home for the story of London - celebrating the unique spirit and energy of the city ahead of the 2012 Olympics.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
"It is thrilling to see this ambitious and complex project realised at last, transforming the Museum and placing it at the heart of the city it celebrates.