Michael Caine officialy opens Museum of London's new galleries
SIR Michael Caine officially unveiled the Museum of London s brand new Galleries of Modern London yesterday evening (Thursday). The �20million redevelopment of the Museum s galleries tells the story of London and its people from the Great Fire in 1666 to
SIR Michael Caine officially unveiled the Museum of London's brand new Galleries of Modern London yesterday evening (Thursday).
The �20million redevelopment of the Museum's galleries tells the story of London and its people from the Great Fire in 1666 to the present day.
On display are more than 7,000 fascinating objects telling the story of Londoners over the past 350 years.
Objects range from the famous Art Deco lifts from Selfridges to The Ghetto, an artwork by Tom Hunter which reveals the harsh realities of London life as it depicts a Hackney street of the 1990s populated with squatters.
You may also want to watch:
Inside the new galleries is also a reconstructed Georgian pleasure garden, a Victorian Walk and the Lord Mayor's State Coach, which is now housed in its own gallery with street level windows for passers-by to see in for the first time.
Professor Jack Lohman, Director of the Museum of London, said: "The new Galleries of Modern London provide a home for the story of London - celebrating the unique spirit and energy of the city ahead of the 2012 Olympics.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
"It is thrilling to see this ambitious and complex project realised at last, transforming the Museum and placing it at the heart of the city it celebrates.