Mike snaps up top assistant’ photographer-of-the-year title
A GRADUATE photographer from London’s East End has won the coveted Assistant of the Year’ award for an Ad-Sites project. Mike Whelan, 32, from Whitechapel, a graduate in photography from the University of East London, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards
A GRADUATE photographer from London's East End has won the coveted 'Assistant of the Year' award for an Ad-Sites project.
Mike Whelan, a 32-year-old from Whitechapel who graduated with a BA Honours in photography from the University of East London two years ago, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards.
He has also been recommended for the Fine Art category in this year's International Photography awards and has now had work accepted by an online gallery based in London and New York.
Mike's prize includes a commission with MOT Models, �1,000 insurance for 12 months and a day's studio hire.
You may also want to watch:
A record number of entries swamped the judges this year which included nine other winners and 11 merits. The awards also showcase the next generation of professional snappers and are regarded by the industry as the most prestigious for photographers' assistants.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay