Mike snaps up top assistant’ photographer-of-the-year title
A GRADUATE photographer from London’s East End has won the coveted Assistant of the Year’ award for an Ad-Sites project. Mike Whelan, 32, from Whitechapel, a graduate in photography from the University of East London, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards
A GRADUATE photographer from London's East End has won the coveted 'Assistant of the Year' award for an Ad-Sites project.
Mike Whelan, a 32-year-old from Whitechapel who graduated with a BA Honours in photography from the University of East London two years ago, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards.
He has also been recommended for the Fine Art category in this year's International Photography awards and has now had work accepted by an online gallery based in London and New York.
Mike's prize includes a commission with MOT Models, �1,000 insurance for 12 months and a day's studio hire.
You may also want to watch:
A record number of entries swamped the judges this year which included nine other winners and 11 merits. The awards also showcase the next generation of professional snappers and are regarded by the industry as the most prestigious for photographers' assistants.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park