Mike snaps up top assistant’ photographer-of-the-year title
A GRADUATE photographer from London’s East End has won the coveted Assistant of the Year’ award for an Ad-Sites project. Mike Whelan, 32, from Whitechapel, a graduate in photography from the University of East London, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards
A GRADUATE photographer from London's East End has won the coveted 'Assistant of the Year' award for an Ad-Sites project.
Mike Whelan, a 32-year-old from Whitechapel who graduated with a BA Honours in photography from the University of East London two years ago, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards.
He has also been recommended for the Fine Art category in this year's International Photography awards and has now had work accepted by an online gallery based in London and New York.
Mike's prize includes a commission with MOT Models, �1,000 insurance for 12 months and a day's studio hire.
You may also want to watch:
A record number of entries swamped the judges this year which included nine other winners and 11 merits. The awards also showcase the next generation of professional snappers and are regarded by the industry as the most prestigious for photographers' assistants.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report