Mike snaps up top assistant’ photographer-of-the-year title
A GRADUATE photographer from London’s East End has won the coveted Assistant of the Year’ award for an Ad-Sites project. Mike Whelan, 32, from Whitechapel, a graduate in photography from the University of East London, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards
A GRADUATE photographer from London's East End has won the coveted 'Assistant of the Year' award for an Ad-Sites project.
Mike Whelan, a 32-year-old from Whitechapel who graduated with a BA Honours in photography from the University of East London two years ago, took the title at the 2009 Association of Photographers awards.
He has also been recommended for the Fine Art category in this year's International Photography awards and has now had work accepted by an online gallery based in London and New York.
Mike's prize includes a commission with MOT Models, �1,000 insurance for 12 months and a day's studio hire.
You may also want to watch:
A record number of entries swamped the judges this year which included nine other winners and 11 merits. The awards also showcase the next generation of professional snappers and are regarded by the industry as the most prestigious for photographers' assistants.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 7 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 8 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Man found stabbed on board night bus