Mile End club where 23-year-old stabbed to death has history of complaints

A Mile End club where a 23-year-old man was stabbed to death over the weekend has been rocked by complaints over noise and anti-social behaviour in recent times.

People living near Boheme nightclub where the clubber, thought to be from Tottenham, was killed in the early hours of Sunday morning now want a probe into the incident and some are calling for the club to be closed down.

The man was stabbed with a champagne bottle before police and paramedics arrived at the scene at 4.30am on Sunday, the club said in a statement to Mile End Residents’ Association.

Concerned East Enders had met up with Boheme’s management as recently as last month to discuss the way it was being run.

The residents’ association described the meeting as a “success” but said it now wants more information to ascertain how the killing happened and whether the club’s security has been stringent enough.

The club, on the junction of Mile End Road and Burdett Road, had its licence revoked under the previous owners.

Cllr Motin Uz-Zaman said: “No-one has anything against having entertainment as long as it does not infringe on people’s lives. It’s the responsibility of the owners to decide how they publicise their events and to make sure that individuals who cause trouble are not allowed in. Losing any life is not something to be taken lightly.

Most Read

“Residents have had huge issues with regards to parking, noise and anti-social behaviour.”

A resident who lives near the club said: “Groups of people often hang around outside and it can be intimidating. It’s quite a residential area and a club is not really appropriate.

“The new owners have bent over backwards to try and appease residents but the trouble doesn’t seem to have stopped.”

Boheme bosses said an argument broke out between two men inside the venue before one of the men was assaulted.

Their statement went on: “He was attacked with a champagne bottle which struck him in the chest. Our security team reacted swiftly to attend to the situation by calling the emergency services and attempting CPR.

“We will be working alongside the police using our in house ID scan to ensure that the person responsible is caught.”

The man was pronounced dead at the scene when police and paramedics arrived.

His next of kin have been informed and a post mortem is being arranged.

A 27-year-old man was arrested yesterday in connection with the murder.

He is in custody at an east London police station.

Detectives from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command are investigating.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter