Mile End mental health unit investigates patient's suspicious death
BOSSES at an East End mental health unit have launched an investigation following the death of a patient. The East London Foundation Trust which runs the Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health on the Mile End Hospital site is investigating after an in
BOSSES at an East End mental health unit have launched an investigation following the death of a patient.
The East London Foundation Trust which runs the Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health on the Mile End Hospital site is investigating after an inpatient was reported injured on Friday evening.
Prodip Debnath, 31, was taken from the centre in Bancroft Road to the nearby Royal London in Whitechapel where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Officers from the Met Police's Homicide & Serious Crime Command are investigating the suspicious death and officers are still awaiting post-mortem results.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for the mental health trust said there was an internal investigation being carried out in line with the trust's Serious Incident policy.
She added: "We offer our sincere condolences to the family of the deceased patient and others affected by this incident."
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
A 20-year-old man has been arrested in connection with Mr Debnath's death, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
He has been bailed into secure hospital accommodation pending further police inquiries.