Mile End mental health unit investigates patient's suspicious death
BOSSES at an East End mental health unit have launched an investigation following the death of a patient. The East London Foundation Trust which runs the Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health on the Mile End Hospital site is investigating after an in
BOSSES at an East End mental health unit have launched an investigation following the death of a patient.
The East London Foundation Trust which runs the Tower Hamlets Centre for Mental Health on the Mile End Hospital site is investigating after an inpatient was reported injured on Friday evening.
Prodip Debnath, 31, was taken from the centre in Bancroft Road to the nearby Royal London in Whitechapel where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Officers from the Met Police's Homicide & Serious Crime Command are investigating the suspicious death and officers are still awaiting post-mortem results.
A spokeswoman for the mental health trust said there was an internal investigation being carried out in line with the trust's Serious Incident policy.
She added: "We offer our sincere condolences to the family of the deceased patient and others affected by this incident."
- 1 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 2 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 3 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 4 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 8 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 9 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 10 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
A 20-year-old man has been arrested in connection with Mr Debnath's death, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
He has been bailed into secure hospital accommodation pending further police inquiries.