Mile End Oscar winner Danny Boyle to direct 2012 Olympics opening ceremony
OSCAR winning director Danny Boyle will be the artistic director of the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games. The Mile End resident who won an Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire will be in charge of making the opening ceremony in July 2012 a spectacula
OSCAR winning director Danny Boyle will be the artistic director of the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games.
The Mile End resident who won an Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire will be in charge of making the opening ceremony in July 2012 a spectacular show.
And Three Mills Studio in Bromley by Bow will be used as a production centre for the 2012 ceremonies. It was used as a rehearsal space for the UK display at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Olympics.
Mr Boyle said: "I'm honoured to have been invited to be the Artistic Director for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games. It's a completely unique opportunity to contribute to what I'm sure are going to be a fantastic Games, I'm really excited to be involved.'
He will join a team of creative experts including theatre director Stephen Daldry to put on a good show for the Olympics.
Culture and Olympics Minister Jeremy Hunt said: "The opening and closing ceremonies are the jewels in the crown of any Olympics and Paralympics and are one of the benchmarks against which all Games are judged.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 5 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 8 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
"I am very pleased that British directors and producers of such outstanding international calibre and acclaim have given their backing to London 2012. With their creativity and expertise on board, I'm sure that London's showpiece events will make Britain proud.