Mile End play park becomes seaside resort
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
A giant sand pit and pop up puppet show helped transform Mile End play park into a thriving seaside resort.
The council’s annual A Day by the Sea event attracted a record turnout of almost 5,000 people.
Children enjoyed seeing the park from a new perspective aboard Maurice the donkey while other draws included a bungee trampoline and an opportunity to pedal their way to a refreshing smoothie thanks to the urban smoothie bikes.
Mayor of Tower Hamlets, Lutfur Rahman, said: “Every year we put on a fantastic event which has been growing in popularity. I am pleased that thousands of residents have benefited from this free event.”
Cabinet member for culture, Cllr Shafiqul Haque, added: “It’s good to see so many families enjoying themselves at one of our flagship summer events.”
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 10 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston