Minister hits back at 'Islamophobic' allegations
A LABOUR MP who spoke of his concerns about the infiltration by a secretive Islamic Group into mainstream politics says Muslims sharing his concerns proves he is not Islamophobic.
A LABOUR MP who spoke of his concerns about the "infiltration" by a "secretive" Islamic Group into mainstream politics says Muslims sharing his concerns proves he is not "Islamphobic"
Jim Fitzpatrick said community members speaking out about their fears of the Islamic Forum Europe influencing Tower Hamlets Town Hall and party politics on Channel 4's Dispatches programme this week proves he is not Islamophobic as some claims.
The Farming Minister told the Advertiser the secrecy and lack of transparency surrounding the IFE's agenda "weakened local democracy."
As a politician he has to declare membership of a political organisation such as a trade union but said it was impossible to know who IFE members are as membership lists are kept "secret."
You may also want to watch:
The Poplar and Canning Town MP said it made a "mockery" of parties and the political platform.
The IFE this week issued a statement denying it had "infiltrated" Tower Hamlets Labour Party and received public funds. The forum also refuted seeking to establish an Islamic State or Sharia Law in Britain.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
The IFE did not make anyone available for interview with the Advertiser or respond to our questions.