Minister hits back at 'Islamophobic' allegations
A LABOUR MP who spoke of his concerns about the infiltration by a secretive Islamic Group into mainstream politics says Muslims sharing his concerns proves he is not Islamophobic.
A LABOUR MP who spoke of his concerns about the "infiltration" by a "secretive" Islamic Group into mainstream politics says Muslims sharing his concerns proves he is not "Islamphobic"
Jim Fitzpatrick said community members speaking out about their fears of the Islamic Forum Europe influencing Tower Hamlets Town Hall and party politics on Channel 4's Dispatches programme this week proves he is not Islamophobic as some claims.
The Farming Minister told the Advertiser the secrecy and lack of transparency surrounding the IFE's agenda "weakened local democracy."
As a politician he has to declare membership of a political organisation such as a trade union but said it was impossible to know who IFE members are as membership lists are kept "secret."
You may also want to watch:
The Poplar and Canning Town MP said it made a "mockery" of parties and the political platform.
The IFE this week issued a statement denying it had "infiltrated" Tower Hamlets Labour Party and received public funds. The forum also refuted seeking to establish an Islamic State or Sharia Law in Britain.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 3 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 8 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
The IFE did not make anyone available for interview with the Advertiser or respond to our questions.