Minister praises Tower Hamlets' first polyclinic for 'leading the way'
THE East End s first super surgery was praised for providing a first-class service by a government minister when he dropped in for its official opening. The Minister of State for Health, Mike O Brien, unveiled a plaque yesterday to officially open th
THE East End's first super surgery was praised for providing "a first-class service" by a government minister when he dropped in for its official opening.
The Minister of State for Health, Mike O'Brien, unveiled a plaque yesterday to officially open the centre in Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs.
He was given a tour around the �12m centre which first opened to the public in December 2007 and was declared a polyclinic after being developed to offer more than 20 health services including a dentist, a birth centre and minor surgery under one roof.
Patients and doctors have always been concerned about plans for the larger health centres in Tower Hamlets over fears they could lead to the closure of existing surgeries and the loss of the traditional local GP.
You may also want to watch:
But Mr O'Brien insisted patients' attitudes towards the super centres were changing and GPs were starting to extend their opening hours.
He added: "This centre is leading the way for the rest of the country.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
"Patients in Tower Hamlets can be proud and delighted with the facilities here.