Minister praises Tower Hamlets' first polyclinic for 'leading the way'
THE East End s first super surgery was praised for providing a first-class service by a government minister when he dropped in for its official opening. The Minister of State for Health, Mike O Brien, unveiled a plaque yesterday to officially open th
THE East End's first super surgery was praised for providing "a first-class service" by a government minister when he dropped in for its official opening.
The Minister of State for Health, Mike O'Brien, unveiled a plaque yesterday to officially open the centre in Westferry Road on the Isle of Dogs.
He was given a tour around the �12m centre which first opened to the public in December 2007 and was declared a polyclinic after being developed to offer more than 20 health services including a dentist, a birth centre and minor surgery under one roof.
Patients and doctors have always been concerned about plans for the larger health centres in Tower Hamlets over fears they could lead to the closure of existing surgeries and the loss of the traditional local GP.
But Mr O'Brien insisted patients' attitudes towards the super centres were changing and GPs were starting to extend their opening hours.
He added: "This centre is leading the way for the rest of the country.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 4 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 5 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 6 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 9 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 10 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
"Patients in Tower Hamlets can be proud and delighted with the facilities here.