Minister visits East End Somali centre helping migrants integrate
SOMALI community leaders met the Government’s Charities Minister Angela Smith at their new centre in London’s East End this-afternoon. They laid on a spread of traditional Somali fare for her as she sat in on a fire safety talk given with an interpreter
By Linda Lewis
SOMALI community leaders met the Government's Charities Minister Angela Smith at their new centre in London's East End this-afternoon.
They showed her round the centre in Bethnal Green and laid on a spread of traditional Somali fare.
She sat in on a talk about fire safety given with the aid of an interpreter.
You may also want to watch:
Project leaders from the Somali Integration team provide services to Somali women, many of whom had only recently arrived in Britain and speak limited English.
It was Angela Smith's first official visit to a Somali community organisation. She said: "They clearly understand the pressure that members of their community are under."
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
The integration team offers translations, mentoring, language classes, keep fit, help with phone calls and job applications. There are also clubs and activities for children and teenage girls.
The minister heard about one Somali woman who had contacted the team for help after being without heating and electricity all weekend.
She hadn't been able to arrange a repair, speaking no English, until the advice centre opened on Monday.