Minty from EastEnders to visit Poplar fire station open day to back fire safety campaign
FIREFIGHTERS are throwing open the doors of Poplar Fire Station to the public on Saturday to help get the fire safety message across. The open day is part of London Fire Brigade s Keep Your Community Safe & Sound campaign, and also marks the start of t
FIREFIGHTERS are throwing open the doors of Poplar Fire Station to the public on Saturday to help get the fire safety message across.
The open day is part of London Fire Brigade's Keep Your Community Safe & Sound campaign, and also marks the start of the Brigade's first ever Fire Safety Week which starts on Saturday 12.
The station at East India Dock Road will be open between 11am and 4pm and Brigade staff will be on hand to give visitors fire safety advice and actor Cliff Parisi who plays Minty in soap EastEnders will be popping by about 1pm. There will also be refreshments and activities for children.
Tower Hamlets Borough Commander Bruce Epsly said: "We know our fire safety messages are beginning to get through but so many of the fires we attend could easily have been avoided if people were more aware of how to protect themselves and their families. There were 220 accidental fires in the home in our borough last year so we know there is still work for us to do and we need the help of Tower Hamlets residents to do it.
You may also want to watch:
"Keep Your Community Safe & Sound is as easy as it sounds. We want everyone in the borough to become a fire safety champion by making sure that they, their family and neighbours are safe from fire.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 5 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 6 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic