Mooney moves to Southend
- Credit: Archant
Irish forward agrees more to O’s rivals after not being offered new contract at Brisbane Road
Southend United have confirmed the signing of former Leyton Orient forward David Mooney, after he wasn’t offered a new contract by the Brisbane Road club.
The Irish forwards contract expired this summer after four years with the E10 club where he scored 51 times and spearheaded the O’s promotion charge under Russell Slade during the 2013/14 campaign.
He was among 12 players not offered a new deal following the conclusion of last season, which resulted in relegation under the management of Italian Fabio Liverani.
That was before Ian Hendon was appointed as the new Orient head coach, but the Irish forward has agreed a move to stay in League One anyway.
You may also want to watch:
Southend earned promotion from League Two last season following a penalty shoot-out play-off win against Wycombe Wanderers and Mooney will now be preparing for the new season with a different club after his four-year stay with the O’s finished.
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family