More than 1,000 casualties on Tower Hamlets’ roads in 2017, TfL figures show
- Credit: Dominic Lipinsk/PA Archive/PA Im
There were more than 1,000 people killed or injured on the borough’s roads last year, the latest figures reveal.
Transport for London (TFL) published the numbers on Thursday showing the total number of casualties in 2017 was 1,303 – the fourth highest of the London boroughs.
TfL transport strategy boss Lilli Matson said: “We refuse to accept that any death or serious injury on London’s roads is acceptable or inevitable.
“We will continue to work with the police and all boroughs to meet our target of eliminating all death and serious injury from London’s roads by 2041.”
Six people died on the borough’s roads in 2017 while the number of casualties defined as serious rose nine per cent to 181. A total of 1,116 were recorded as being “slight”.
You may also want to watch:
There were 248 pedestrian and another 285 cyclist casualties. A majority of 418 were car drivers or passengers, according to TfL.
It warned that making direct comparisons between 2017’s figures and those from previous years should be avoided after the Met launched online reporting last year making it easier for people to report incidents.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 7 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 8 Lockdown dancing in your own living room goes online from Canary Wharf
- 9 Tower of London's Queen raven feared dead
- 10 Covid: School mourns sad loss of Marner Primary headteacher Nick Hague
Ms Matson said that dangerous drivers would be targeted to cut the numbers along with increasing safety at road junctions, lowering speed limits and taking heavy goods vehicles off the roads.
Supt Robert Revill said: “Our message is clear, we won’t tolerate illegal and dangerous behaviour. We will take robust action against those that do.
“Excess speed, poor concentration and other risky road user behaviour are undisputed contributors to road traffic collisions. The consequences are devastating for victims and their families.”
The borough’s casualty total is higher than neighbouring Newham (1,105) but lower than Westminster’s high (1,917). However, its total has dropped six per cent on 2016’s. More than half of the borough’s crashes (55pc) involved cars.
Overall, the number of people killed in the 13 inner London boroughs dropped four per cent in 2017 to 54.
Mayor Sadiq Khan launched an action plan called “Vision Zero” in July vowing to stamp out deaths and serious injuries on the capital’s streets by 2041 by encouraging walking and cycling.