Search

More Tube strikes to start in a fortnight

PUBLISHED: 12:50 04 May 2011

Tube drivers will strike in a fortnight

Tube drivers will strike in a fortnight

Archant

Commuters are to face further Tube strikes starting in a fortnight, a union announced today.

The RMT union said its members voted by almost two to one for the strikes, which are over the sacking of two drivers.

The first walkout is planned for May 16 with another five before the end of June.

Union bosses accused London Underground of “victimising” the drivers because of their union activity.

Transports chiefs rebuffed the claims, insisting the sackings were over “abusive behaviour” and “disregarding safety systems”.

About 1,500 drivers are expected not to turn up for shifts during the strikes, planned for May 16, May 18, May 20, June 14, June 16 and June 17.

RMT general secretary Bob Crow said: “The solution is simple - LU should accept that they have been found out, get these drivers back to work doing the job that they are being paid to do and bring an end to the constant harassment of union activists whose only crime is fighting cuts to jobs and safety.”

Strike action on the Underground has become a more frequent occurrence with several taking place late last year.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser