More Tube strikes to start in a fortnight
Commuters are to face further Tube strikes starting in a fortnight, a union announced today.
The RMT union said its members voted by almost two to one for the strikes, which are over the sacking of two drivers.
The first walkout is planned for May 16 with another five before the end of June.
Union bosses accused London Underground of “victimising” the drivers because of their union activity.
Transports chiefs rebuffed the claims, insisting the sackings were over “abusive behaviour” and “disregarding safety systems”.
You may also want to watch:
About 1,500 drivers are expected not to turn up for shifts during the strikes, planned for May 16, May 18, May 20, June 14, June 16 and June 17.
RMT general secretary Bob Crow said: “The solution is simple - LU should accept that they have been found out, get these drivers back to work doing the job that they are being paid to do and bring an end to the constant harassment of union activists whose only crime is fighting cuts to jobs and safety.”
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 9 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 10 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
Strike action on the Underground has become a more frequent occurrence with several taking place late last year.