Mosque plans for Shadwell school hit by listing
DEVELOPERS wanting to demolish a former East End school to make way for an eight-storey mosque could be forced to withdraw their plans after the building was listed by English Heritage. Tower Hamlets council gave the go-ahead earlier this year for the Vi
DEVELOPERS wanting to demolish a former East End school to make way for an eight-storey mosque could be forced to withdraw their plans after the building was listed by English Heritage.
Tower Hamlets council gave the go-ahead earlier this year for the Victorian building in Bigland Street in Shadwell which is home to the Darul Ummah Community Centre to be torn down and replaced by an eight-storey building with three basement levels.
The centre which also houses the private Muslim boys' school Jamiatal Ummah would move into the new building which will also be used as a mosque and house funeral facilities, a gym and a caf�.
But developers will now have to go back to the drawing board after the former Lower Chapman Street Board School which was designed in 1873 was declared a grade II listed building.
You may also want to watch:
The Victorian Society welcomed the decision and Conservation Adviser Heloise Brown said: "We appreciate that the listing decision is very frustrating for Darul Ummah as its development plans were so far advanced, but we hope the owners will now look at retaining the historic building.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 10 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries