Mosque raises over �1million for its expansion in Tower Hamlets
By Else Kvist A famous East End mosque has broken ethnic television records by raising over �1million for its expansion. Viewers phoned Channel S last Friday night to support the expansion of The East
A famous East End mosque has broken ethnic television records by raising over �1million for its expansion.
Viewers phoned Channel S last Friday night to support the expansion of The East London Mosque on Whitechapel Road.
Under the plans an eight storey building will house increased prayer space, a visitor centre for non-Muslims, and five floors of facilities and services for women.
The mosque launched a fundraising initiative on the night, the Alhambra Donors Wall, whereby donations of over �1,500 will be commemorated by an inscribed tile on the wall of the new building.
You may also want to watch:
Building work began in June and the building is expected to be completed in time for the mosque's centenary celebration next year.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing