Mosque raises over �1million for its expansion in Tower Hamlets
By Else Kvist A famous East End mosque has broken ethnic television records by raising over �1million for its expansion. Viewers phoned Channel S last Friday night to support the expansion of The East
A famous East End mosque has broken ethnic television records by raising over �1million for its expansion.
Viewers phoned Channel S last Friday night to support the expansion of The East London Mosque on Whitechapel Road.
Under the plans an eight storey building will house increased prayer space, a visitor centre for non-Muslims, and five floors of facilities and services for women.
The mosque launched a fundraising initiative on the night, the Alhambra Donors Wall, whereby donations of over �1,500 will be commemorated by an inscribed tile on the wall of the new building.
You may also want to watch:
Building work began in June and the building is expected to be completed in time for the mosque's centenary celebration next year.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 5 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End