Mosque raises over �1million for its expansion in Tower Hamlets
By Else Kvist A famous East End mosque has broken ethnic television records by raising over �1million for its expansion. Viewers phoned Channel S last Friday night to support the expansion of The East
A famous East End mosque has broken ethnic television records by raising over �1million for its expansion.
Viewers phoned Channel S last Friday night to support the expansion of The East London Mosque on Whitechapel Road.
Under the plans an eight storey building will house increased prayer space, a visitor centre for non-Muslims, and five floors of facilities and services for women.
The mosque launched a fundraising initiative on the night, the Alhambra Donors Wall, whereby donations of over �1,500 will be commemorated by an inscribed tile on the wall of the new building.
You may also want to watch:
Building work began in June and the building is expected to be completed in time for the mosque's centenary celebration next year.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United