MP demands account of Mr Cameron’s relationship with Coulson
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has been seeking answers from the Prime Minister about his relationship with his former communication’s director Andy Coulson following the News of the World hacking scandal.
During PM’s Question Time this week Rushanara Ali asked David Cameron to tell the House of Commons whether he and Coulson had discussed the phone hacking charges at the time of his resignation from Downing Street.
Ms Ali also urged the Prime Minister to provide a full account of any meetings or conversations he had with Mr Coulson since his resignation.
The PM insisted he had already explained that he had sought assurances from Mr Coulson.
Mr Cameron said: “Yes, absolutely. Those assurances were given not just at the time to me but subsequently to the Select Committee and to a criminal case under oath. They were repeatedly given. Let me say again for the avoidance of any doubt that if those assurances turn out not to be true, the point is not just that he (Coulson) should not have worked in government, it is that he should, like others, face the full force of the law.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Ali’s office said Mr Cameron had failed to answer her request for an account of any communication in the months following Mr Coulson’s resignation.
“Thousands of my constituents have written to me in absolute disbelief over the phone hacking scandal”, Ms Ali added.
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
Ms Ali has welcomed the public inquiries into the phone hacking scandal and the news last week that News International had withdrawn its bid to buy BSkyB.