MP demands account of Mr Cameron’s relationship with Coulson
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has been seeking answers from the Prime Minister about his relationship with his former communication’s director Andy Coulson following the News of the World hacking scandal.
During PM’s Question Time this week Rushanara Ali asked David Cameron to tell the House of Commons whether he and Coulson had discussed the phone hacking charges at the time of his resignation from Downing Street.
Ms Ali also urged the Prime Minister to provide a full account of any meetings or conversations he had with Mr Coulson since his resignation.
The PM insisted he had already explained that he had sought assurances from Mr Coulson.
Mr Cameron said: “Yes, absolutely. Those assurances were given not just at the time to me but subsequently to the Select Committee and to a criminal case under oath. They were repeatedly given. Let me say again for the avoidance of any doubt that if those assurances turn out not to be true, the point is not just that he (Coulson) should not have worked in government, it is that he should, like others, face the full force of the law.”
You may also want to watch:
Ms Ali’s office said Mr Cameron had failed to answer her request for an account of any communication in the months following Mr Coulson’s resignation.
“Thousands of my constituents have written to me in absolute disbelief over the phone hacking scandal”, Ms Ali added.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 7 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 8 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 9 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
Ms Ali has welcomed the public inquiries into the phone hacking scandal and the news last week that News International had withdrawn its bid to buy BSkyB.