MP Jim Fitzpatrick refutes Islamophobia claims
MP Jim Fitzpatrick was fighting for his political career last night after finding himself at the centre of a smear campaign . The Poplar and Limehouse Labour MP called an urgent press conference for the Bengali media to quash rumours he was Islamophobi
MP Jim Fitzpatrick was fighting for his political career last night after finding himself at the centre of a "smear campaign".
The Poplar and Limehouse Labour MP called an urgent press conference for the Bengali media to quash rumours he was Islamophobic after he and his wife boycotted a segregated wedding in the London Muslim Centre in August.
He refuted claims he is calling for the ban of traditional Muslim weddings and urged his constituents not to listen to rumours after hearing a petition has been circulating calling for his resignation.
The food and farming minister was at the centre of controversy after he accused the London Muslim Centre in August of imposing "stricter" segregation rules and blamed the Muslim organisation the Islamic Forum of Europe (IFE) for its "stranglehold influence" on the centre.
You may also want to watch:
But he told the Advertiser: "I am saying to people to judge me on my own record not on rumours.
"I do not regret what I said. But I do apologise to the families as I did not mean to cause them any offence.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
"I believe I do have the support of the party and the majority of my Muslim constituents and I have been invited to Muslim weddings since.