MP Rushanara Ali pledges to fight for people of Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali pledged to defend the East End against possible cuts under the new government as she began her first official week as MP. The new MP for Bethnal Green and Bow declared she would fight against any damaging proposals brought in by the ne
RUSHANARA Ali pledged to "defend" the East End against possible cuts under the new government as she began her first official week as MP.
The new MP for Bethnal Green and Bow declared she would fight against any "damaging proposals" brought in by the new coalition government that could affect residents in her constituency.
Ms Ali, who regained the Labour seat from Respect in the General Election, also said she would be campaigning for more investment in the area and ensuring projects that have already started, including Building Schools for the Future, are not blocked.
Speaking at her first press conference today since she became MP at the Bethnal Green and Bow Labour headquarters, she said: "I have a huge concern about the cuts that the Conservatives may initiate which are likely to affect our community in Bethnal Green and Bow.
"I can defend this area to the best of my ability against damaging proposals.
"But at the end of the day it is the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats that are in power and if they let the cuts go through we have to work together and campaign against the proposals that are likely to harm this community.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 7 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 8 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 9 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network