MP Rushanara Ali pledges to fight for people of Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali pledged to defend the East End against possible cuts under the new government as she began her first official week as MP. The new MP for Bethnal Green and Bow declared she would fight against any damaging proposals brought in by the ne
RUSHANARA Ali pledged to "defend" the East End against possible cuts under the new government as she began her first official week as MP.
The new MP for Bethnal Green and Bow declared she would fight against any "damaging proposals" brought in by the new coalition government that could affect residents in her constituency.
Ms Ali, who regained the Labour seat from Respect in the General Election, also said she would be campaigning for more investment in the area and ensuring projects that have already started, including Building Schools for the Future, are not blocked.
Speaking at her first press conference today since she became MP at the Bethnal Green and Bow Labour headquarters, she said: "I have a huge concern about the cuts that the Conservatives may initiate which are likely to affect our community in Bethnal Green and Bow.
You may also want to watch:
"I can defend this area to the best of my ability against damaging proposals.
"But at the end of the day it is the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats that are in power and if they let the cuts go through we have to work together and campaign against the proposals that are likely to harm this community.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 4 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 5 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 6 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 7 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 8 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 9 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 10 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson