MP Rushanara Ali pledges to fight for people of Bethnal Green and Bow
RUSHANARA Ali pledged to defend the East End against possible cuts under the new government as she began her first official week as MP. The new MP for Bethnal Green and Bow declared she would fight against any damaging proposals brought in by the ne
RUSHANARA Ali pledged to "defend" the East End against possible cuts under the new government as she began her first official week as MP.
The new MP for Bethnal Green and Bow declared she would fight against any "damaging proposals" brought in by the new coalition government that could affect residents in her constituency.
Ms Ali, who regained the Labour seat from Respect in the General Election, also said she would be campaigning for more investment in the area and ensuring projects that have already started, including Building Schools for the Future, are not blocked.
Speaking at her first press conference today since she became MP at the Bethnal Green and Bow Labour headquarters, she said: "I have a huge concern about the cuts that the Conservatives may initiate which are likely to affect our community in Bethnal Green and Bow.
You may also want to watch:
"I can defend this area to the best of my ability against damaging proposals.
"But at the end of the day it is the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats that are in power and if they let the cuts go through we have to work together and campaign against the proposals that are likely to harm this community.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals