MP Rushanara Ali raises money for Bethnal Green Tube Disaster Memorial
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has raised �1,000 in parliament towards a memorial to the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster.
Labour’s Rushanara Ali has been fundraising among fellow MPs after she joined Tower Hamlets councillors from across parties for a sponsored 5k run earlier this month.
The run aimed to raise �5,000 for The Stairway to Heaven Trust raising funds to build a permanent memorial to the victims the disaster.
The 1943 disaster led to the biggest loss of civilian life during the Second World War.
About 300 people became trapped on the stairways leading into to the station during an air raid leaving 173 people crushed to death and 60 injured.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Ali said: “I’ve been telling my fellow MPs about the memorial and been really pleased at the support.”
The 27 MPs who have donated include Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick, Harriet Harman Frank Dobson, Stepehen Timms, Charlie Elphicke and Stephen Barclay.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 10 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers