MP Rushanara Ali raises money for Bethnal Green Tube Disaster Memorial
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has raised �1,000 in parliament towards a memorial to the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster.
Labour’s Rushanara Ali has been fundraising among fellow MPs after she joined Tower Hamlets councillors from across parties for a sponsored 5k run earlier this month.
The run aimed to raise �5,000 for The Stairway to Heaven Trust raising funds to build a permanent memorial to the victims the disaster.
The 1943 disaster led to the biggest loss of civilian life during the Second World War.
About 300 people became trapped on the stairways leading into to the station during an air raid leaving 173 people crushed to death and 60 injured.
Ms Ali said: “I’ve been telling my fellow MPs about the memorial and been really pleased at the support.”
The 27 MPs who have donated include Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick, Harriet Harman Frank Dobson, Stepehen Timms, Charlie Elphicke and Stephen Barclay.
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents
- 9 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point