MP Rushanara Ali raises money for Bethnal Green Tube Disaster Memorial
The MP for Bethnal Green and Bow has raised �1,000 in parliament towards a memorial to the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster.
Labour’s Rushanara Ali has been fundraising among fellow MPs after she joined Tower Hamlets councillors from across parties for a sponsored 5k run earlier this month.
The run aimed to raise �5,000 for The Stairway to Heaven Trust raising funds to build a permanent memorial to the victims the disaster.
The 1943 disaster led to the biggest loss of civilian life during the Second World War.
About 300 people became trapped on the stairways leading into to the station during an air raid leaving 173 people crushed to death and 60 injured.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Ali said: “I’ve been telling my fellow MPs about the memorial and been really pleased at the support.”
The 27 MPs who have donated include Poplar and Canning Town MP Jim Fitzpatrick, Harriet Harman Frank Dobson, Stepehen Timms, Charlie Elphicke and Stephen Barclay.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns