MP welcomes more direct flights to Bangladesh
THE lifting of restrictions on flights to and from Bangladesh has been welcomed tonight by a former Transport minister whose East London constituency includes Britain’s biggest Bengali community
THE lifting of restrictions on flights to and from Bangladesh has been welcomed tonight by a former Transport minister whose East London constituency includes Britain’s biggest Bengali community.
It follows a deal between the two governments to operate more flights to any part of either country.
This paves the way for direct flights from the Sylhet region, from where many of the Britain’s large Bangladeshi community come from.
Former Transport Department minister Jim Fitzpatrick, the Poplar & Canning Town MP with its large Sylheti community, said: “This is great news for those wishing to fly to Sylhet.”
The deal announced today trebles the number of flights between the two countries from 10 a week to 31 and allows airlines to operate from any UK airport to anywhere in Bangladesh. It will enable direct flights from Sylhet, as well as other provincial cities such as Chittagong.
The existing restrictions only allowed flights between Heathrow, Manchester and Dhaka.
- 1 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 2 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 7 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 8 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 9 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
No British passenger airlines currently fly to Bangladesh. British Airways withdrew its three-times-a-week service last March.
Biman Bangladesh Airlines currently operates five flights a week between Heathrow and Dhaka. United Airways started operating twice a week between Gatwick and Dhaka in November.