MPs will face criminal charges on expenses, says angel’ Cable
ECONOMICS guru Vince Cable believes a handful of MPs could face criminal charges over the expenses scandal, he told an audience in London’s East End. The Lib Dem MP said the row had cost the careers of many able and good politicians
ECONOMICS guru Vince Cable believes a handful of MPs could face criminal charges over the expenses scandal, he told an audience in London’s East End last night.
The Twickenham Lib Dem MP, named in press reports as an angel’ because of his clean reputation over expenses, said the row had cost the careers of many able and good MPs.
“A number of very good people have gone as a result,” he said. “I believe three or four MPs could still face fraud accusations over their expense claims.”
Their mistakes had been created by ignorance of a system that was poorly understood and loosely administered, he insisted. But the public had a right to expect exemplary standards’ from their politicians.
You may also want to watch:
The system of flipping’ the designation of their Westminster and constituency addresses had to be investigated and improved.
Mr Cable was speaking at a Lib Dem open meeting at Bethnal Green’s Oxford House community centre, packed by more than 80 people.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 4 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
The MP, described by some newspapers as an angel’ because of his clean record on expenses, told them: “When I look at some of my angelic’ colleagues on the same list, I cannot help but feel that heaven has dropped its standards for entrance.”