Search

Mum and three kids escape blaze in time

PUBLISHED: 09:55 18 December 2008 | UPDATED: 13:53 05 October 2010

A MUM and her three young children escaped a blaze in their home in London’s East End after an early warning from their home smoke detector. The fire broke out in the kitchen at their first-floor flat at Gaze House on Poplar’s Aberfeldy Estate. But all four got out onto the landing in time, thanks to the alarm

A MUM and her three young children escaped a blaze in their home in London’s East End after an early warning from their home smoke detector.

The fire broke out in the kitchen at their first-floor flat at Gaze House on Poplar’s Aberfeldy Estate.

But all four got out onto the landing in time, thanks to the alarm.

“It gave them early warning before we arrived,” said fire brigade senior watch manager Steve White. “All households should fit smoke detectors in time for Christmas.”

Neighbours took the family in while the emergency crew brought the blaze under control. The fire is believed to have been caused by unattended cooking which led to smoke damage throughout the flat, but no structural damage. No-one was hurt.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser