Covid: All is revealed with giant Bethnal Green mural on what people think of the NHS
- Credit: Rich Mix
The biggest public mural anywhere in east London is being unveiled next week at Bethnal Green as a 40ft tribute to the NHS during the Covid crisis.
It’s under wraps at the moment, but the East London Advertiser can give you exclusive peek of what it’s going to look like.
The massive “200 nations and one NHS” motif covering the entire front of the four-storey Rich Mix arts centre in Bethnal Green Road goes on formal display on October 22.
The arts centre has splashed out with Paint the Change street art for “social justice” campaigners who have been like busy bees these past four weeks with their steeplejack painting down the front of the building while gathering ad hoc audiences of passers-by.
The mural is to serve “as a reminder of the community’s gratitude to the NHS” depicting a young health worker and dozens of drawings and paintings of flowers that were crowdsourced from all over Britain.
You may also want to watch:
“The mural celebrates diversity at a time when we need it the most,” Rich Mix boss Judith Kilvington said. “An incredible array of flower images were submitted, many accompanied by moving notes of how the NHS has helped so many families get through this pandemic, despite such difficult circumstances.”
The building stands where people with contrasting lifestyles and incomes pass each other in the street, Judith points out. They will see this huge artwork side by side, however they live, vote or identify.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
The Bethnal Green mural is part of a wider international project, with others being unveiled on the Continent in Belgrade and Athens.