Muslim wedding groom speaks out at MP Fitzpatrick’s walkout
THE bridegroom of the wedding where MP Jim Fitzpatrick and his wife walked out after being refused entry as a couple has spoken of his disappointment’ at the Government minister. The Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town and his wife Sheila refused to stay at a wedding at the London Muslim Centre after being directed to separate rooms for men and women
THE bridegroom of the wedding where MP Jim Fitzpatrick and his wife walked out after being refused entry as a couple has spoken of his 'disappointment' at the Government minister.
The Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town and his wife Sheila refused to stay at a wedding at the London Muslim Centre in Whitechapel last week after being directed to separate rooms for men and women.
The groom, Bodrul Islam, one of Mr Fitzpatrick's constituents, claimed today (Monday) that a member of his family had called the MP back to the wedding. But the minister declined, insisting he was not offended.
Mr Islam said today: "My family and I are upset and disappointed that he has taken his grievances to the press rather than contacted me or members of my family to clear any issues that he has with my wedding arrangements.
"My wife and I chose the London Muslim Centre as a wedding venue as it catered for our families religious and cultural requirements."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fitzpatrick, the Minister for Food and Farming, accused the Muslim centre in Whitechapel Road, next to the East London Mosque, of imposing "stricter" segregation rules in recent month.
The centre insist it has always had the policy of separate men and women, but allowing non-Muslim guests to be seated together without segregation was "at the discretion" of the families who have hired the hall.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green