Muslim wedding groom speaks out at MP Fitzpatrick’s walkout
THE bridegroom of the wedding where MP Jim Fitzpatrick and his wife walked out after being refused entry as a couple has spoken of his disappointment’ at the Government minister. The Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town and his wife Sheila refused to stay at a wedding at the London Muslim Centre after being directed to separate rooms for men and women
THE bridegroom of the wedding where MP Jim Fitzpatrick and his wife walked out after being refused entry as a couple has spoken of his 'disappointment' at the Government minister.
The Labour MP for Poplar & Canning Town and his wife Sheila refused to stay at a wedding at the London Muslim Centre in Whitechapel last week after being directed to separate rooms for men and women.
The groom, Bodrul Islam, one of Mr Fitzpatrick's constituents, claimed today (Monday) that a member of his family had called the MP back to the wedding. But the minister declined, insisting he was not offended.
Mr Islam said today: "My family and I are upset and disappointed that he has taken his grievances to the press rather than contacted me or members of my family to clear any issues that he has with my wedding arrangements.
"My wife and I chose the London Muslim Centre as a wedding venue as it catered for our families religious and cultural requirements."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fitzpatrick, the Minister for Food and Farming, accused the Muslim centre in Whitechapel Road, next to the East London Mosque, of imposing "stricter" segregation rules in recent month.
The centre insist it has always had the policy of separate men and women, but allowing non-Muslim guests to be seated together without segregation was "at the discretion" of the families who have hired the hall.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Trees now up for 'adoption' to help make East End greener
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 7 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 8 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM