My sadness at Ron’s passing: he was popular in East End
Dear Ed,I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London
I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years (Advertiser Website, July 10). Many people knew him much better than I did, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London.
But he and his wife Margaret were kind to me when I stood in the by-election in Mile End East in November. They were very hospitable to the hordes of campaigners we brought into their pub. Martin and Margaret have been a great source of knowledge since, invaluable as I go about my job as a Tower Hamlets councillor.
I am sad at his death and want to pay tribute to a lovely, kind man who is a tremendous loss to our East End community. My thoughts and sympathies are with his wife, children and grandchildren.
Cllr Rachael Saunders
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Council
Mile End East ward
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 5 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 6 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
Town Hall, Blackwall