My sadness at Ron’s passing: he was popular in East End
Dear Ed,I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London
I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years (Advertiser Website, July 10). Many people knew him much better than I did, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London.
But he and his wife Margaret were kind to me when I stood in the by-election in Mile End East in November. They were very hospitable to the hordes of campaigners we brought into their pub. Martin and Margaret have been a great source of knowledge since, invaluable as I go about my job as a Tower Hamlets councillor.
I am sad at his death and want to pay tribute to a lovely, kind man who is a tremendous loss to our East End community. My thoughts and sympathies are with his wife, children and grandchildren.
Cllr Rachael Saunders
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Council
Mile End East ward
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 4 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 5 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
Town Hall, Blackwall