My sadness at Ron’s passing: he was popular in East End
Dear Ed,I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London
I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years (Advertiser Website, July 10). Many people knew him much better than I did, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London.
But he and his wife Margaret were kind to me when I stood in the by-election in Mile End East in November. They were very hospitable to the hordes of campaigners we brought into their pub. Martin and Margaret have been a great source of knowledge since, invaluable as I go about my job as a Tower Hamlets councillor.
I am sad at his death and want to pay tribute to a lovely, kind man who is a tremendous loss to our East End community. My thoughts and sympathies are with his wife, children and grandchildren.
Cllr Rachael Saunders
Tower Hamlets Council
Mile End East ward
- 1 Archie Battersbee dies: Hospital staff showed 'extraordinary compassion'
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Leyton Orient 'don't really need' Forest Green Rovers cup tie says Wellens
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 Extreme heat: Met Office issues warning as temperatures set to soar
Town Hall, Blackwall