My sadness at Ron’s passing: he was popular in East End
Dear Ed,I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London
I WANT to express my sadness at the death of Ron Martin, landlord of the Britannia pub in Bow Common for 24 years (Advertiser Website, July 10). Many people knew him much better than I did, as he was well known and liked across the East End of London.
But he and his wife Margaret were kind to me when I stood in the by-election in Mile End East in November. They were very hospitable to the hordes of campaigners we brought into their pub. Martin and Margaret have been a great source of knowledge since, invaluable as I go about my job as a Tower Hamlets councillor.
I am sad at his death and want to pay tribute to a lovely, kind man who is a tremendous loss to our East End community. My thoughts and sympathies are with his wife, children and grandchildren.
Cllr Rachael Saunders
You may also want to watch:
Tower Hamlets Council
Mile End East ward
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 8 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 9 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
Town Hall, Blackwall