Mysterious Shadwell flat fire at empty property

58 firefighters tackled the blaze for three hours

58 firefighters tackled the blaze for three hours - Credit: sub

Police are believed to be investigating a flat fire in Shadwell after fire engines arrived at a blaze today to find the premises deserted.

The flat is thought to be a hang-out spot for drug users and the suspected cause of the fire is the careless disposal of a cigarette.

The fire, which happened at 1.30am this morning, was at Thornewill House on Cable Street, Shadwell.

Three fire engines including a turn table ladder were used and it took 10 minutes before the blaze under control.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter