Mystery mute woman found wandering round Whitechapel - do you recognise her?
A mystery mute woman has been found wandering the streets of Whitechapel wearing Indian garments and carrying Indian and Nepalese currency.
The woman, who was found at the end of November 2012, is being looked after at a hospital in Tower Hamlets while police try to figure out who she is – and officers released these photos today (Friday) in an attempt to learn her identity.
A spokesman for the East London NHS Foundation Trust described her as “a British white woman in her late 40s or early 50s”, but said her clothes appear to have been bought in India.
“She was found to have two-year-old travellers’ cheques and Indian and Nepalese currency on her person,” he added. “The travellers’ cheques were bought in the Seven Sisters area in June 2010. Part of her signature is on the travellers’ cheque and there is a possibility that her initial is C.
“She also had a supermarket receipt from a Sainsbury’s store in the Holborn area.”
You may also want to watch:
Doctors believe the woman wasn’t homeless for long, and is likely to be known to social services and have family who are worried about her.
Although the woman has been described by police as “mute”, she did once say a few words in an English accent.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
Despite trying to use her possessions as potential leads to her identity, officers have been unable to find out who the woman is and have released these photos to appeal for the public’s help.
The woman, who has shoulder-length light brown and grey hair and blue eyes, has a distinctive 2cm burn scar on her back.
Anyone with information should contact Pc Paul Fairbairn at Limehouse police station’s missing persons unit, on 020 7275 4589.