Mystery mute woman found wandering round Whitechapel - do you recognise her?
A mystery mute woman has been found wandering the streets of Whitechapel wearing Indian garments and carrying Indian and Nepalese currency.
The woman, who was found at the end of November 2012, is being looked after at a hospital in Tower Hamlets while police try to figure out who she is – and officers released these photos today (Friday) in an attempt to learn her identity.
A spokesman for the East London NHS Foundation Trust described her as “a British white woman in her late 40s or early 50s”, but said her clothes appear to have been bought in India.
“She was found to have two-year-old travellers’ cheques and Indian and Nepalese currency on her person,” he added. “The travellers’ cheques were bought in the Seven Sisters area in June 2010. Part of her signature is on the travellers’ cheque and there is a possibility that her initial is C.
“She also had a supermarket receipt from a Sainsbury’s store in the Holborn area.”
You may also want to watch:
Doctors believe the woman wasn’t homeless for long, and is likely to be known to social services and have family who are worried about her.
Although the woman has been described by police as “mute”, she did once say a few words in an English accent.
- 1 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 2 Study asks: why are canals and rivers a watery lifeline during pandemic?
- 3 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 4 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 5 Stolen bikes being recycled in Mile End by police
- 6 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 10 Report reveals scale of support offered by council during Covid crisis
Despite trying to use her possessions as potential leads to her identity, officers have been unable to find out who the woman is and have released these photos to appeal for the public’s help.
The woman, who has shoulder-length light brown and grey hair and blue eyes, has a distinctive 2cm burn scar on her back.
Anyone with information should contact Pc Paul Fairbairn at Limehouse police station’s missing persons unit, on 020 7275 4589.