Neighbours’ bid to rescue man in East End blaze death plunge
NEIGHBOURS tried desperately to rescue a man before he plunged 40ft to his death in London’s East End to escape a blaze at his family home. The man in his 20s is believed to have jumped out of the burning fourth-floor flat off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road after attempts by neighbours to kick down his locked bedroom door
NEIGHBOURS tried desperately to rescue a man before he plunged 40ft to his death in London’s East End to escape a blaze at his family home.
The man in his 20s is believed to have jumped out of the burning fourth-floor flat in Bethnal Green’s Ellen Wilkinson House off Roman Road after attempts by neighbours to kick down his locked bedroom door failed.
The blaze broke out in the flat at around 8pm last night as residents described sounds of a large explosion.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s parents, sister and a seven-year-old girl believed to be his nice managed to escape. His father had to be treated for shock and the effects of inhaling smoke.
Neighbour Adbul Malik told the East London Advertiser: “I heard someone shouting there was a kid inside, so I tried to break the door down.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
“But there was so much smoke. Then another neighbour had a TV in his hands and was trying to use it to break the door down.
“The man’s family were shouting that he was in there, but his bedroom door was locked.”
The man, in his 20s, leapt through a bedroom window badly burned when he plunged to the ground.
He was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel with multiple injuries and severe burns, but later died. Police say they are waiting to speak to next of kin.