Neighbours’ bid to rescue man in East End blaze death plunge
NEIGHBOURS tried desperately to rescue a man before he plunged 40ft to his death in London’s East End to escape a blaze at his family home. The man in his 20s is believed to have jumped out of the burning fourth-floor flat off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road after attempts by neighbours to kick down his locked bedroom door
NEIGHBOURS tried desperately to rescue a man before he plunged 40ft to his death in London’s East End to escape a blaze at his family home.
The man in his 20s is believed to have jumped out of the burning fourth-floor flat in Bethnal Green’s Ellen Wilkinson House off Roman Road after attempts by neighbours to kick down his locked bedroom door failed.
The blaze broke out in the flat at around 8pm last night as residents described sounds of a large explosion.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s parents, sister and a seven-year-old girl believed to be his nice managed to escape. His father had to be treated for shock and the effects of inhaling smoke.
Neighbour Adbul Malik told the East London Advertiser: “I heard someone shouting there was a kid inside, so I tried to break the door down.
- 1 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 7 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 8 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 9 Search is on for next Tower Hamlets Freedom of the Borough award recipient
- 10 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
“But there was so much smoke. Then another neighbour had a TV in his hands and was trying to use it to break the door down.
“The man’s family were shouting that he was in there, but his bedroom door was locked.”
The man, in his 20s, leapt through a bedroom window badly burned when he plunged to the ground.
He was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel with multiple injuries and severe burns, but later died. Police say they are waiting to speak to next of kin.