Neighbours’ bid to rescue man in East End blaze death plunge
NEIGHBOURS tried desperately to rescue a man before he plunged 40ft to his death in London’s East End to escape a blaze at his family home. The man in his 20s is believed to have jumped out of the burning fourth-floor flat off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road after attempts by neighbours to kick down his locked bedroom door
NEIGHBOURS tried desperately to rescue a man before he plunged 40ft to his death in London’s East End to escape a blaze at his family home.
The man in his 20s is believed to have jumped out of the burning fourth-floor flat in Bethnal Green’s Ellen Wilkinson House off Roman Road after attempts by neighbours to kick down his locked bedroom door failed.
The blaze broke out in the flat at around 8pm last night as residents described sounds of a large explosion.
You may also want to watch:
The man’s parents, sister and a seven-year-old girl believed to be his nice managed to escape. His father had to be treated for shock and the effects of inhaling smoke.
Neighbour Adbul Malik told the East London Advertiser: “I heard someone shouting there was a kid inside, so I tried to break the door down.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
“But there was so much smoke. Then another neighbour had a TV in his hands and was trying to use it to break the door down.
“The man’s family were shouting that he was in there, but his bedroom door was locked.”
The man, in his 20s, leapt through a bedroom window badly burned when he plunged to the ground.
He was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel with multiple injuries and severe burns, but later died. Police say they are waiting to speak to next of kin.