Neighbours living above Bethnal Green pottery raise alarm after smelling smoke
- Credit: sub
Fire crews tackled a fire in an artist’s pottery studio in Bethnal Green yesterday morning.
No one was in the studio on Columbia Road when the fire began on the ground floor of the building.
A family of four living in a flat above the studio raised the alarm when they smelt smoke and called the Brigade.
Firefighters found the fire was caused by a faulty electrical connection in the kiln and they quickly put it out.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Neither the studio or the flat above it had any smoke detection which is potty in this day and age.
You may also want to watch:
“It is essential that you have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home. Smoke alarms provide vital early warning and buy you extra time to escape if there is a fire.
“They can also alert neighbours to the danger of fire.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Two fire engines and around 14 firefighters and officers from Bethnal Green and Whitechapel fire stations attended the incident.
The Brigade was called at 0738 and the fire was under control at 0751.